The Adrenocortex Stress Profile is an at-home salivary hormone test that evaluates the key stress hormones, cortisol and DHEA. Four samples collected throughout the day allow for circadian rhythm assessment. Salivary adrenal hormone testing may uncover biochemical imbalances, which can adversely affect:
Resistance to Stress
When compared to traditional blood testing of adrenal hormones, salivary assessment offers several advantages:
Uncovers abnormal patterns of cortisol release over a 24-hour period, which may be addressed with customized therapeutic interventions
Hormone levels measured in saliva, rather than serum, are thought to be unbound and bioavailable
Convenient at-home collection of four salivary samples collected throughout the day is an ideal low-stress diagnostic for assessing diurnal variation in stress hormones
Facilitates follow-up testing to monitor therapy responses, especially when multiple samples are required to be collected over a period of time
Important things to know and consider
• The following drugs and herbs may influence levels of hormones reported in this test: ketoconazole, clomiphene, phenytoin, oral steroids (e.g. Prednisone), cortisone cream or patches, and any steroid-based nasal sprays, inhalers, or eye drops; DHEA sublingual pellets or drops. Let your physician know about these and any other medications, herbs, and supplements that you have used in the past 3 months. Do not change use of supplements or medications unless instructed to do so by your healthcare provider.
Schedule and prepare for your saliva collection:
•It is important that you collect saliva during the specified time frame
•If you have difficulty producing enough saliva for the tube, press the tip of your tongue to the roof of your mouth against your teeth. Yawning can also generate saliva
• One hour prior to collection do not eat, brush or floss your teeth, use mouthwash, chew gum or use any tobacco products. You may drink ONLY water during this time.
• If you are shipping the sample-Contact FedEx and schedule to ship the specimen overnight delivery Monday – Friday. Sample MUST be stored frozen at least 2 hours before shipping. .
• Complete the requisition form with all patient and billing information. Be sure it is signed by the patient/responsible party and the healthcare provider.
Saliva Collection Schedule:
Keep this nearby for the day! On the day you collect specimens, wake up between 6:00 AM and 8:00 AM and collect four saliva samples according to the following schedule:
MORNING: 1 hour after rising for the day (Use label #1)
MIDDAY: 11:00 AM to 1:00 PM (Use label #2)
AFTERNOON: 3:00 PM to 5:00 PM (Use label #3)
LATE NIGHT: 10:00 PM to 12:00 AM (Use label #4)
Collecting your saliva specimens
Check Your Kit A – 4 Saliva collection tubes
B – 4 Labels, numbered 1-4 in red
C – 1 biohazard bag with pad
D – 1 Requisition (to be completed and signed)
E – 1 Prepaid mailing envelop
•If any items are missing or expired, call Client Services at 800.522.4762, then press 1
• Keep the kit box for shipping your specimen to the lab. Or call office to give you new kit.
Write your full name, time, and date of collection on label #1 using a ballpoint pen or pencil only. Attach the label to a collection tube
When ready to collect the saliva, rinse your mouth with drinking water. Spit out the water completely, and do not cough or clear your throat into the collection tube.
Fill the collection tube until liquid saliva level reaches the 3-ml mark. To reduce a foamy saliva collection, tap the tube on a hard surface. Insufficient saliva samples cannot be processed.
Replace the cap tightly to avoid leakage. Place the filled tube into the biohazard bag and freeze immediately. Samples must be frozen a minimum of 2 hours prior to shipping. Keep samples frozen until ready to ship.
• Repeat steps 1-4 for each collection, using the labels numbered 2 and 3, etc., in order. Consult your healthcare provider if you have any questions at any time during this test.
Ship the saliva specimen to the lab—or bring to office—please arrange that with office first.
If you are shipping
Specimen must be returned in the Genova Diagnostics kit box for correct delivery to the lab. Not following these instructions may result in a shipping charge.
• Plan to ship the specimen Monday – Friday overnight delivery only.
• Call 1.800.GoFedEx (1.800.463.3339) to schedule shipping. When the automated system asks “How may I help you?” say “Return a Package.” Tell the FedEx representative “I am using a billable stamp” and they will walk you through the process and make it easy.
• Seal all frozen saliva tubes and the pad in the biohazard bag and place it in the clear plastic box.
• Place your completed and signed requisition form on top of the biohazard bag and close plastic box. Do NOT staple or tape box.
• Print your name and address in the section marked “From” on the prepaid shipping envelope label. DO NOT mark or write in any other sections.
• Put the kit box into the prepaid mailing envelope and seal the envelope.
• Keep your shipment and tracking numbers for future reference and tracking purposes.